Thursday 30 April 2015

Maltreated, Exploited And Confused: A Sad Blog Reader Needs Your Help

‘’I am 21 years old; I came to the city early this year to look for a source of livelihood. Before I embarked on this journey, I pleaded with my (married) cousin to allow me stay with his family. He agreed and even offered to help me secure a job (since I was yet to gain admission into the University) but since then; he has neither found the job for me nor talked about it. I assist his wife with domestic chores-even cooking for them (not minding that she is a house wife), they do not even provide my needs (my family’s economic situation is not encouraging at the moment).I am serving them with the hope that they would want to be contributing to my school expenses when I gain admission into the University eventually. Whenever my cousin’s wife sends me to the market to buy foodstuffs, the ‘message’(to go to the market) will come with an instruction that I should start cooking as soon as I am back from the market and only disturb her when I am done with the cooking. She tells me that I am a good cook. Last week (Monday), I went to the market, came back and started cooking, as usual. When I was through with the cooking, I went to inform her. She became so angry and insulted me thoroughly, asking ‘who made me her cook’. I became depressed afterwards and refused to eat. She reacted by isolating her children from me (she would not let them play with me) and she started handling the cooking by herself. She has threatened to kick me out of her house. Now, I am frustrated because she does not allow me to handle any chores in the house any more, she only gives me food when she pleases. Sometimes, I am made to understand that the food that was left open in the kitchen (with flies all over it) is mine. I am awaiting the University admission list to be released. My spirit is troubled. Please advise me on what to do because I am very confused and depressed now. If I leave their house because of the way she has been treating me, I do not think I will get a dime from them to pay my school fees. I do not want to make any mistakes (that will cause me my education) with them. The husband (my cousin) is aware of what’s going on. He even called me stupid."

No comments:

N910BN MDAs SHORT-TERM LOANS: CACOL CALLS FOR URGENT RECOVERY

The Centre for Anti-Corruption and Open Leadership, CACOL, has called on the Accountant-General of the federation to urgently recover short-...